High risk car insurance in New Brunswick

High risk car insurance in New Brunswick

Traffic tickets, payment issues, and car accidents can affect the price of your insurance for years and place you in a high-risk market. At Cheep Insurance, we believe in getting you the best policy you are eligible for – no matter what your history. Our brokers are here to help you find the best payment and coverage options based on your lifestyle, even if it has to be high-risk for now. Don’t let your history keep you down – we’re here to help you take flight!

Who is considered a high-risk driver?

Car insurance prices are based on many factors – anything from insurance payment history to tickets and accidents to years licensed. When you have several at-fault accidents and traffic violations it can place you in a high-risk market.

Being put in the high-risk category usually means you will need to pay your insurance bill up front for the year, pay more money out-of-pocket if you are in an accident, and have less coverage options. The best thing to do is try to get back to a “regular market” as soon as you can.

Cheep Insurance is able to offer monthly payment plans – even for high-risk insurance policies. We do everything we can to help you get back to “regular market” company so you can have more coverage options and access to lower pricing.


How long am I considered a high risk driver?

A yellow clipboard holds a piece of paper marked with green dollar signs along the top

Tickets & convictions

Traffic violations such as speeding, seatbelt, and cell phone tickets will affect insurance prices and limit what companies you are eligible for. Minor tickets (such as speeding) will affect your policies for 3+ years, while major or criminal tickets (such as cell phone tickets) can affect your price for 6-10+ years.

A red cartoon car and a yellow cartoon car are shown up against one another indicating they have crashed

At-Fault accidents

When you are found at-fault for an accident it can affect your price for up to 6 years (unless you have accident protection coverage on your policy). If you have more than one at-fault accident, you will likely be placed in a high-risk market. If you are found not-at-fault, typically your price will not change.

A grey certificate with green text and a yellow ribbon is shown

FRC Needed

When you get a no-insurance ticket, you will be required to purchase a policy with a Financial Responsibility Certificate (FRC). These policies are only available in high-risk markets and are expensive; FRCs must stay on your policy for at least 2 years.

A martini glass with red liquid and a green olive is behind a red circle being crossed out. A pair of car keys is also shown. Indicating do not drink and drive,

Driving under the influence

Drinking and driving or driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs will impact your price and eligibility to be put in a “regular market”. This will affect your insurance for up to 10 years.

A grey and black shield with a red

No-insurance tickets

We know that insurance can be expensive – but getting caught driving without insurance is even more expensive. Getting a ticket for having no insurance may affect your price for up to 6 years, and will place you in a high-risk market automatically.

A tablet screen shows a record of past payments for insurance policies - a red

History of payment issues

If you’ve had insurance policies cancelled for non-payment in the past, this can land you in a high-risk market and increase your price for up to 6 years.

How to get out of a high-risk market

If you have multiple at-fault accidents, tickets or payment issues in your past; it can place you in a high-risk market and be hard to keep track of. Your best option is to try to return to a “regular market” (standard insurance policy) as quickly as you can. This means getting no more tickets, having no more at-fault accidents, and keeping payments up-to-date.

So, how do you get back to a “regular market”?

  • Follow all the rules of the road – if you aren’t doing anything wrong, you can’t get caught. Don’t drive under the influence or while distracted, snap on that seatbelt, and don’t speed.
  • Take a defensive driving course – these courses can sometimes have tickets or violations removed from your driving history. Even if it doesn’t, it’s a great refresher on safety and road rules.
  • Pay your insurance on time – Once an insurance policy has been cancelled for non-payment, you cannot be placed with a regular market for 3-5 years. We know it’s hard when your price is higher in a high-risk market, but Cheep Insurance has great financing options to help keep you on track.

FAQs about High Risk Insurance

How do impaired driving laws in Nova Scotia work? What are the legal BAC (blood alcohol content) limits?

Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol is illegal. Getting caught driving with blood alcohol content (BAC) over a certain limit will result in fines and a license suspension.

  • Newly licensed drivers are not permitted any alcohol at all in their system. If they are caught with a BAC over 0.00 they will lose their license and must start their graduated license (GDL) again from the beginning.
  • If you are caught with a BAC between 0.05 and 0.08, your license is immediately suspended for 24 hours and additional fines may apply.
  • If you are caught with a BAC over 0.08, your license is immediately suspended for 90 days and additional fines may apply.
  • Note: you can get a DUI even if your BAC is below 0.08. Alcohol affects people differently, and you can still be considered impaired while under the legal limit.

Drivers and passengers are also not allowed to consume drugs or alcohol in a vehicle, whether or not it is moving. If you are carrying any alcohol in your car, it must be in a closed, sealed package and out of reach from anyone in the vehicle. Your best bet is to keep all alcohol in the trunk of your vehicle.

Remember that alcohol is not the only substance considered when driving under the influence – illegal substances, marijuana, and even some prescription medications can impair your ability to drive and result in a DUI.

What are the fines for drinking and driving in Nova Scotia?

There are some hefty fines and penalties in place if you are convicted of drinking and driving. Here is the breakdown.

First offence:

  • Fine of $600-$2000
  • License suspension for 1 year
  • Completion of an addiction/dependency program at your own cost ($455)
  • License reinstatement fee at your own cost ($124.60)

Second offence:

  • Fine of $600-$2000
  • Possible prison term of at least 14 days
  • License suspension for 3 years
  • Completion of an addiction/dependency program at your own cost ($455)
  • License reinstatement fee at your own cost ($124.60)
  • Requirement to re-take driver’s tests

Third offence:

  • Fine of $600-$2000
  • Prison term of at least 90 daysIndefinite license suspension (minimum 10 years)
  • Completion of an addiction/dependency program at your own cost ($455)
  • License reinstatement fee at your own cost ($124.60)
  • Requirement to re-take driver’s tests

Fourth offence:

  • Permanent license suspension in addition to penalties listed above

CHEEP TIP: If you refuse a breathalyzer without a reasonable excuse, the courts will find you guilty. Can you think of a good excuse to refuse a breath sample? We can’t either, so you’re always better off taking the test.

How long does an accident stay on my record?

How a car accident affects your insurance record depends on a few different details.

  • At-Fault Accidents – At-fault accidents do affect your insurance and will likely increase your insurance premium on your next renewal. You can be found partially or fully at fault for vehicle collisions, and they stay on your record for approximately 6 years from the “date of loss” reported. These claims may also affect your ability to change insurance carriers.
  • Not At-Fault Accidents – If you are in a vehicle collision and it is determined that another person is at fault, the accident will not be held as a mark against you on your insurance, will not increase your premium, and will not prevent you from getting insurance with another company.
  • Comprehensive Claims – Comprehensive claims include fire, vandalism, theft, collision with wildlife, and if you break your windshield. Because these incidents are often beyond your control, they do not affect your insurance record and are not marked against you. Claims resulting from these perils will not increase your insurance premium or ability to change companies – however, if you have frequent glass claims, your insurance company may opt to discontinue your glass coverage.
What kind of insurance claims affect my driving record?

Insurance claims can affect your driving record in different ways depending on the nature of the claim. For the most part, the kinds of claims that affect your record are:

At-Fault Accidents: If you are involved in an accident and deemed at fault by the insurance company, it will be recorded on your driving record. At-fault accidents can have an impact on your insurance rates, likely causing them to increase. This includes single vehicle collisions – such as hitting a power pole, or skidding off the road.

What about Comprehensive Claims?

Claims related to incidents such as theft, fire, vandalism, or weather damage, may not directly impact your driving record. However, these claims could still affect your insurance premiums depending on the circumstances and your overall claims history. For example, if you have several claims for glass (needed a window or windshield replaced) the Insurance Company may remove coverage for glass on your policy. Comprehensive Claims also include impact with wildlife.

Remember, each insurance company has its own rules. It’s a good idea to talk to your Insurance Broker to understand how claims can affect you. Contact our flock at 1-866-92-CHEEP (24336) or email us at if you have questions about your claims history.

What is an FRC?

A “Financial Responsibility Certificate”, or FRC, lets the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) know that you have an active insurance policy in place so they can reinstate your license and you can get back to driving. It serves as proof that you have enough funds to cover any damages or liabilities that may arise from an accident. Because it is meant to show financial responsibility, you will want to make sure you are paying your insurance premiums and other bills on time, otherwise you may run into other issues such as a cancellation for non-payment.

FRCs are required if you are charged with driving without insurance. Once you are convicted of driving without insurance, your license will be suspended. When your license is suspended, you need an FRC to get back on the road. Get in touch with our team by phone at 1-866-92-CHEEP or by email at and we’ll take care of everything for you.

For more information on FRCs – see our blog post “I got a no insurance ticket and now I need an FRC – help!”